With the fourth »Energy Security Summit« Frankfurter Allgemeine Forum places the future challenges for the business community, science and politics as a result of major changes on the international energy markets into the spotlight of the public debate. The Summit will take place in Berlin on 2 June 2016.
Under the title »Innovations for a Diverse Energy Supply« the new technologies and visionary projects to achieve a diversified energy supply and ambitious climate goals as well as the necessary critical framework conditions take centre stage this year.
The format goes back to a longstanding cooperation with the Munich Security Conference. The goal of the cooperation had been to draw attention to the growing geostrategic interdependencies in global energy supplies and their impact on security policy.
THE TOPICS IN DETAIL
Future Challenges for Economy, Science and Politics in dramatically changing international Energy Markets
As a result of new energy sources and the associated oil price collapse, the weights on the energy markets have undergone fundamental changes: the USA have become energy-independent, Saudi Arabia and Russia have been faced with major competitive disadvantages.
- What is the impact of these developments on the economy and industry in Europe?
- Does the German industry have a lead in knowledge as a result of the innovation pressure of the past years (energy turnaround) and can it export technological innovations successfully?
Following-up on Paris: How to reach ambitious climate goals?
Experts agree that the result of the Paris climate summit is a remarkable progress compared to former climate summits. However, they stress that the plan is still far from being implemented and the agreed goal looks much better than it is. In their view the state of the world climate continues to be alarming. In addition, the climate protection commitments have been made on a voluntary basis. The biggest challenge is to ensure that the promises of the national states are kept.
- Can the agreement reached at the Paris climate summit really be described as historic under these circumstances? What political framework conditions are needed in order to sustain and enforce the results of Paris?
- Are ambitious climate goals innovation drivers?
New Technologies and Business Opportunities for a diverse Energy Supply
In order to render their economy independent from the oil income in the long term, the Arab World pursues an ambitious course of economic diversification.
- What will be the energy mix in the Arab World in 2020? What business opportunities are involved?
- What technologies will play the leading role in future in order to ensure a safe and environmentally friendly energy supply?
- Jan Aengenvoort, Head of Communications & Research, Next Kraftwerke GmbH
- Khalid K. Al Hajri, Chairman and CEO, Qatar Solar Technologies
- Anis Aouini, Inventor, Founder & Chairman, Saphon Energy
- Rainer Baake, State Secretary, Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy, Federal Republic of Germany
- Tom Brown, Senior Postdoctoral Researcher, Frankfurt Institute for Advanced Studies
- Spyridon Chatzivasileiadis, Professor, Technical University of Denmark
- Ralf Christian, CEO Energy Management Division, Siemens AG
- Barbara Hendricks, Federal Environment Minister, Federal Republic of Germany
- Martin Kaiser, Head of International Climate Politics, Greenpeace e.V.
- Hans Jürgen Kerkhoff, President, Executive Directorate, Wirtschaftsvereinigung Stahl
- Selim Kuneralp, Deputy Secretary General, Energy Charter Treaty
- Tore Land, President and CEO, TouGas Oilfield Solutions GmbH
- Barbara Minderjahn, Managing Director, VIK Verband der Industriellen Energie- und Kraftwirtschaft e. V.
- Friedbert Pflüger, Director, European Centre for Energy and Resource Security (EUCERS), King’s College London; Member of the Steering Committee, Ghorfa
- Julian Popov, Former Minister of Environment and Water of Bulgaria, Fellow, European Climate Foundation
- Michael Schmidt, CEO, BP Europa SE
- Alexander H. Slocum, Professor, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Ahmed Zahran, CEO & Co-Founder, KarmSolar
- Michaela Küfner, Political Correspondent, Deutsche Welle
- Joachim Müller-Jung, Head of the Nature and Science Desk, Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung
- Jörn Richert, Assistant Professor for Energy Governance, Universität St.Gallen
- Carsten Rolle, Secretary General of the German Member Committee of the World Energy Council
Please inform me about this or similar event news per e-mail.
Your email address is used internally and will not be
shared with a third party without your consent.
Director Politics & Economics
Frankfurter Allgemeine Forum
Tel.: +49 69 75 91 -26 95
Frankfurter Allgemeine Forum
Tel.: +49 69 75 91 -26 17
firstname.lastname@example.org ESMT - European School of
Management and Technology
Schloßplatz 1, 10178 Berlin